Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fall in Ireland

For the last few lucky weeks, winter has stayed gloriously away and autumn continues to crane its neck further and further into November. Photos taken while out walking (Newbridge,Co Kildare, Ireland) evoke Autumn by Northamptonshire poet John Clare

A russet red the hazels gain,
As suited to their drear decline;
While maples brightest dress retain,
And in the gayest yellows shine.


                                       And I do love the varied hue,
                                     And I do love the browning plain;
                                    And I do love each scene to view,
                                    That’s mark’d with beauties of her reign.




O while my eye the landscape views,
What countless beauties are display’d;
What varied tints of nameless hues, —
Shades endless melting into shade.







Tis lovely now to turn one’s eye,
The changing face of heaven to mind;
How thin-spun clouds glide swiftly by,
While lurking storms slow move behind.



Beneath a yellow fading tree,
As red suns light thee, Autumn-morn,
In wildest rapture let me see
The sweets that most thy charms adorn.


Beside the brook, in misty blue,
Bilberries glow on tendrils weak,
Where many a bare-foot splashes through,
The pulpy, juicy prize to seek:



And the swans obliged with a "Bottoms up" to winter (needless to say, that's not a  John Clare line)
 

6 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Oh I wish I were in Ireland right now to see the beautiful fall colors!

Barbara Scully said...

Oh thank you for these lovely photos.. I really think Autumn is the most wonderful season and this year the colours seem particularly bright

Mari G said...

Karen - I always associate fab fall colours with the U.S..
All the same, you are welcome to Newbridge any time to see them for yourself!
Barbara -Autumn is my favourite season and I agree -the colours do seem brighter this year, the mildness of November maybe?

Debbie said...

Gorgeous pictures, Mari, to complement the exuberant words. I love 'thin-spun clouds' and ‘varied tints of nameless hues’. The pictures really do the poem justice - or is it the other way round? The older I get, the more I love autumn. Thank you for capturing its beauty -really lifted my day. DX

Mari G said...

Hi Debbie. Glad you liked them. Taken on a particularly sunny November day just in time before the rain swept all the leaves off those trees!
John Clare could have been writing about Kildare...Autumn in Northumberland must be equally colourful
x

Anonymous said...

I am impressed to read such a powerful story about Blogger: Cast a Bold eye - Post a Comment. I will post a link on my coupon site to this blog post. I will be back to read more.