Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Saying 'Goodbye' to my car of thirteen years

A relationship of thirteen years spans a range of life events. Parting is sorrowful. Okay, so my car is not human. But often I felt as if my little Suzuki Swift was a physical extension of me.  Another foot maybe. She even had a name - Suzy.
A special privacy was achieved in the solitude of my car.
In the quietness of my little space, worries were analysed, plans formulated, stories hatched. Suzy saw the arrival of my daughter, now twelve, as well as family bereavements.  She was my reliable steed during house moves, as I stuffed her little interior to the brim with furniture and fittings. She loyally transported me to readings, music sessions, meetings, festivals, supermarkets, job interviews, study days, book launches, visiting relatives, hospital appointments, schools, football matches, weddings, funerals, holidays. A constant in my life for thirteen long years.
 
Together we sped the roads of Kildare.
 
And now as she leaves me to start a new chapter in her life, I say 'Goodbye' to Suzy.

6 comments:

Verna said...

This is cool!

Unknown said...

Tough saying goodbye to a trusty friend, isn't it? I recently had to let go of an 11-year old Rav4. Had so many road trip memories in it but a leaky gas tank, radiator problems, and AC issues costing nearly as much as a car told me that it had to go. What car did you get after Suzy? -Prince @ Lexus of Ann Arbor

Basil Glenn @ LexusOfLansing said...

Saying goodbye may not be easy, but there's always something good in it. The memories you had with your car will remain forever, and no one can take it away from you. May I know why you had to part ways with Suzy?

Arlyne Nelms@Spartan Toyota said...

It’s actually something to be thankful for that cars are not human. That makes goodbyes a little less painful and a little easier to fill up the hollow space it caused when you had to let it go. What car are you driving now, Mari?

Miglior acque said...

Wasn't your first car a white Suzuki, when you lived in Sligo? I have a memory of when you got it and it having very few miles on the clock.

Cedrick said...

I had to do the same thing with a jeep that I have had for the past 2 decades. I really loved that thing. It was a great car. I pretty much never had any trouble with it in the least and it was such a blast to drive. I then just went out and bought a newer model jeep.

Cedrick @ Viva Chrysler Dodge Jeep